Getting to know someone new is always exciting! Whether you’re on a first date or deepening a budding relationship, asking the right questions can accelerate intimacy and give insight into compatibility.
We’ve put together an ultimate list of 60 get to know you questions for dating and relationships. These open-ended prompts allow for authentic connection through quality conversation. They reveal values, passions, interests, hopes, and dreams.
Making a true connection with someone goes beyond small talk about the weather. Asking deep and meaningful questions expresses genuine interest. It builds trust and understanding between two people.
With these thoughtful, fun, and lighthearted questions, you’ll gain insights into his or her personality, background, values, passions, and sense of humor.
There are questions to ask when first dating, as well as more personal questions for established couples. Mix and match them during chats over dinner, long drives, or cozy nights on the couch.
Pay attention to subtle cues in body language and tone. Follow up to dig deeper into subjects that light them up. Steer clear of anything too heavy early on. Most importantly, reciprocate with your own answers when asked.
Here are 60 fantastic get to know you questions for dating and taking relationships to the next level.
Questions to Ask When First Dating:
- What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
- What’s your favorite way to spend a sunny Saturday?
- What are you most passionate about?
- What are a few of your bucket list adventures?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- What food do you crave most frequently?
- What’s your favorite guilty pleasure TV show?
- Do you have any pets? Tell me about them!
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- How did you get introduced to your hobby or interest?
- Who is your biggest role model or influencer?
- What’s on your bucket list this year?
- What do you think is the best invention of the past 50 years?
- What’s your favorite season and why?
- What’s your ideal weekend getaway?
- What’s your favorite holiday tradition?
- What’s your top travel destination?
- What superpower would you want?
- What would your perfect day look like?
- What weird food combination do you love?
Thoughtful Questions to Ask When Things Get Serious:
- Where did you grow up? What was your childhood like?
- What are your most meaningful memories from childhood?
- How would your closest friends describe you?
- What were your favorite places, foods, activities, etc. as a kid?
- Did you have any childhood nicknames? How’d you get them?
- Who has impacted you most in your life so far?
- What are you most proud of accomplishing in your life?
- What are some of your core values?
- How do you unwind after a stressful day?
- What are your top goals and dreams in life?
- What really makes you laugh?
- Is there something you’ve always wanted to try but haven’t yet?
- Do you have any self-improvement goals?
- What’s one of your best memories so far?
- What quality or trait do you value most in others?
- What’s your biggest fear?
- What’s your definition of happiness?
- What do you think makes a successful relationship?
- How do you handle disagreements?
- Do you believe in any supernatural phenomena? Why or why not?
Spicy Questions to Ask When Dating:
- What’s one thing you own you can’t live without?
- When do you feel most in your element?
- What’s your favorite physical feature about yourself?
- What’s one skill you’d love to learn?
- Do you have any hidden talents?
- What quality do you find most attractive in a partner?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- What’s something you’re self-conscious about?
- If you could switch lives with any celebrity, who would it be?
- Have you ever had a paranormal encounter?
- What’s your biggest regret?
- What’s been your proudest accomplishment so far?
- What’s something you wish more people knew about you?
- What’s something not many people know about you?
- What’s your wildest dream that seems unattainable?
- Do you have any phobias? What are they?
- What’s the bravest thing you’ve ever done?
- What do you hope people say about you after you’re gone?
- Do you believe in soulmates and true love?
- What positive change would you most like to see in the world?
Asking thoughtful questions is one of the best ways to connect with someone special. You’ll gain insight into values, personality, passions, hopes, and dreams.
Mix lighthearted first date questions with more personal ones as things get more serious. Check for open body language and follow up on topics they’re enthusiastic about.
Keep it positive – steer clear of touchy issues too soon. The right questions lead to the richest conversations and strongest bonds. So don’t be afraid to get personal! Authenticity creates true intimacy.